Eat and eat to your heart's content

Tuesday 6 August 2013

Philadelphia: The City of Brotherly Love and comfort eats - Part 1


First post on my new blog and what better way to inaugurate it than with a review of an awesome American city, Philadelphia. 

Philly, City of Brotherly Love, Birthplace of America, home of excellent eats.

I recently spent 5 days in Philadelphia and soaked up all the history, sights, sounds and eats of this Pennsylvania city.

I'm a big fan of the US and American food. No country does comfort food better than the United States. While Philly might not be the expected gourmet city of the US, there are several excellent places to eat. You can eat heartily, and eat well on a budget.

Now onto the eats...




Paesano's 

There are two Paesano's in Philly. We visited the Paesano's in the famous Italian Market in South Philly. This place is highly recommended on Tripadvisor and being a lover of sandwiches, I just had to check it out. Stopping by on a weekday lunchtime, the place was reasonably busy. Surprising, especially as it's pretty much a hole in a wall and we visited during the middle of the heatwave. We were obviously onto a good thing.

And we really were onto a good thing. We had the classic Paesano which at $8 is seriously bargainous and great value. The one sandwich was plenty enough for my sister and I. Service was quick and friendly. We ordered at the counter and pulled up a stool to await out food.

The Paesano is an awesome sandwich. Made with beef brisket, horseradish mayo, roasted tomatoes, pepperincino, sharp provolone and topped with a fried egg on a soft sub roll, sandwiches don't get better than this. It's a combination I could never have dreamt up of but it really works. The photo above does not do the sandwich justice. I wish I could have tried another one of Paesano's tempting sandwiches but there were so many other places to eat at in Philly, I couldn't fit them all in the 5 days. Check out the rest of the menu here 

My culinary adventure in Philly is to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment